Monday, April 18, 2011

Good Food, Good Company... and Cool House

Ever since President Rick Hurley has been appointed, he and his wife Rose have been randomly selecting a group of 10 students to enjoy dinner at their historic home, Brompton.  Their goal in doing so is to get a better idea of what the students want out of their college career and what they can do to make sure that we graduate with having a great experience.

When I received the e-mail asking me if I would be available to attend a dinner with President Hurley and his wife, I immediately answered, "Of course I will attend!"  And with the formal invitation on it's way in the mail, I awaited with such anticipation... and never let my friends forget that I was going to dinner at the President's house.  Meeting Wednesday night? Oh wait, I'm having dinner with the President... Sorry.  Sushi Wednesday night? Oh I can't, dinner with President Hurley at his house which was built in 1720, no big deal.

Upon arriving to Brompton, I was greeted by a nice, young man (I believe a recent graduate of UMW) who offered me a glass of water or soda--I took the water.  Then I was led to the "piano room" where President Hurley and his wife were seated with a few of the other students.  Rick and Rose, as they introduced themselves to me, were immediately so welcoming, funny, laid back, and kind as 10 strangers strolled into their home.  I tried to not seem distracted as I gawked at the ornate light switch covers (which I had heard much about), the detailed mantel piece above the fire place, and the beautiful plaster reliefs.

Each student then took a picture with the Hurley's on the front steps of Brompton, and then they gave us a tour of their home.  Asking if any of us were Historic Preservation majors, I proudly raised my hand along with another girl in the group and he laughed as he explained a mural in the main foyer that was recently decided to be preserved as opposed to being torn down.  But President Hurley and his wife were very knowledgeable of how historic their house was and seemed to be quite passionate about and impressed by the history and integrity that their home holds.

Once seated in the dining room (I got to sit right next to President Hurley!!!), we were treated to a three course meal consisting of salad, bread, steak with a potato and asparagus/red peppers, cheesecake, and coffee if you wished.  Although the food was great, so was the conversation.  We spoke of the new Anderson Center and how to garner and maintain attendance in the 2,000 seated arena, possible new food options, possible performers for the next year, recent construction, and our majors/what we are doing next year.

I could literally go on and on about how friendly the Hurley's are.  Intimidating at first, but I learned that they are very approachable.  I am so gracious for the opportunity, and I believe he really has the best interest of the students in mind, and UMW is in good hands.  Not to mention, I got to see the amazing house that all Preservation majors drool at.

No comments:

Post a Comment